CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION, 2012
Last Date of Receipt of Application: 05 March 2012
Date of Examination: 20 May 2012
The Union Public Service Commission will hold the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2010 on 23 May, 2010 for recruitment to the Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service, Indian Police Service and certain other Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’ Central Services/Posts. The examination will be held at various centers across the country. Salient features about the examination are published herein.
- Candidates to ensure eligibility for the examination: The Candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfill all eligibility conditions for admission to examination. Their admission to all the stages of the examination will be purely provisional subject to satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions. Mere issue of admission certificate to the candidate will not imply that his/her candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission. Commission take up verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents only after the candidate has qualified for Interview/Personality Test.
- How to Apply: Candidates are required to apply Online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in . Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above- mentioned website. Brief Instructions for filling up the “Online Application Form” given in Appendix-II.
- The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the examination. The e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website [www.upsc.gov.in] for downloading by candidates. No Admission Certificate will be sent by post.
- Penalty for wrong answers: Candidates should note that there will be penalty (negative marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question Papers.
- Facilitation Counters: In case of any guidance/information/clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. candidates can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near gate ‘C’ of its campus in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs.
- Mobile Phones Banned: (a)Mobile phones, pagers or any other communication devices are not allowed inside the premises where the examination is being conducted. Any infringement of these instructions shall entail disciplinary action including ban from future examinations. (b) Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring any of the banned items including mobile phones/pagers to the venue of the examination, as arrangement for safe-keeping cannot be assured. Candidates are advised not to bring any valuable/costly items to the Examination Halls, as safe-keeping of the same cannot be assured.Commission will not be responsible for any loss in this regard.
- Plan of Examination: The Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages (vide Appendix I Section-I below). (i) Civil Services Preliminary Examination (Objective type) for the selection of candidates for the Main Examination; and (ii) Civil Services Main Examination (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates for the various Services and posts noted above.
- Applications are now invited for the Preliminary Examination only. Candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified for admission to the Main Exami nation will have to apply online again, in the Detailed Application Form which would be made available to them. The Main Examination is likely to be held in October/November, 2012.
- Minimum Educational Qualifications: The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University Under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification.
- Fee: Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST/PH Candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay fee of Rs. 50/- (Rupees Fifty only) either by remitting the money in any Branch of SBI by Cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India/ State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/Sate Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/ State Bank of Patiala /State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
- How to Apply: Candidates are required to apply online using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above mentioned website.
(Commission’s website – http://www.upsc.gov.in)