- WHAT IS IT: Oldest Marine Engineering Institute in India
- PROGRAMS: Bachelor of Marine Engineering. B.Mar.E
- ADMISSIONS: Through the IIT-JEE (Joint Entrance Exam) conducted across India every year. Apllications to Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai to be submitted.
- PROGRAM COST: Approx. Rs. 100000 per year.
- ACCOMMODATION: Cumpulsory in-house residency for the full course duration
- PLACEMENTS: In shipping companies like Mitsui, MAERSK (Merchant Navy), Marine Workshops & Engine Manufacturers
- LOCATION: Kokatta, West Bengal
- ADDRESS: P-19, Taratolla Rd. Kolkatta, W.B, Ph: 24014673-76, 78 (code: 033), www.merical.ac.in
MERI is situated in Calcutta, WB and is the oldest institute in India to offer the Marine Engineering degree. It is a four year residential program, where the students study core engineering subjects related to Marine Engineering. The B.Mar.E degree is affiliated to Jadhavpur University, Calcutta. It is a ISO-9001:2000 and CRISIL rated institute. The campus located in Kolkatta boasts of the bests facilities available in the country like swimming pools, Tennis Courts, Gym, Indoor Games etc.
The admission to the B.Mar.E is through the IIT-JEE (Joint Entrance Exam), the student has to appear for the exam and also apply to B.Mar.E through Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai.
This course prepares the students for serving as engineers in passenger and cargo vessels (Ships), which is considered one of the best paying jobs available. With the recent growth in the shipping industry and increase in trade, there would be more and more opportunities thrown open for the students of the institute. With advancement in technology, the demand for qualified marine engineers have increased exponentially. Consequently students of the institute have been one of the most sought after by ship owners.
Excerpts from MERI Website
“Apart from the shipping indutry (National & International Shipping Companies, Marine Workshops, Surveying Concerns, Navy, Diesel Engine Manufacturers etc.) on shore based jobs, the alumnii of MERI today are occupying important & key positions in varied & diversified indutries – from IT sector, to consultancy organisations like Price Waterhouse Coopers. A vast many with entrepreneurship skillsa are very successful in running their own establishments too. Needless to say, the Avings Potential while at the Merchant Navy, has assisted in setting up their own business establishments.”
“While many marine engineers have dedicated their post-Merchant Navy services to academic institutions related to marine engineering, a number of them also hold enviable & highly respected positions in Technical schools & colleges verseas.”