The governement of the United Kingdom has invited applications for British Chevening Scholarships Programme from talented Indians for the year 2009. The Chevening Scholarship scheme offers exceptional Indian candidates the opportunity to undertake postgraduate study at leading universities in the UK. It is aimed at future leaders, opinion formers and decision-makers. Annually, the Chevening programme supports around 2000 individuals from across the globe to study in the UK. Up to 100 Indian professionals receive financial assistance for the duration of their studies each year.
· Applications for Chevening Scholarships for study in the 2009/10 academic year are now open. The application deadline is 31 December 2008.
· ONLY online application will be accepted. For further details on how to submit your application, and to complete the online application form.
· No late applications will be accepted
· In your application you will be asked to list contact details for two referees. Note, referees should be professional and/or academic. Short listed candidates will be asked to send us references in sealed envelope before the final interviews.
· The British Council will further contact only short listed candidates inviting them for interviews. Please do not contact the British Council to enquire about the progress of your application.
· Interviews will be conducted in New Delhi or in one of the regional offices between February and April 2009. Short listed candidates will be expected to make their own travel arrangements and accommodation bookings. Unfortunately, the British Council is unable to reimburse cost incurred in attending the interview.
· The decision of the Interview Panel is final.
· Successful applicants for the Chevening Gurukul Scholarship are required to stay on for one day following the interview to attend a briefing from the Programme Directors.
General Eligibility Criteria
· Indian national with a valid Indian passport
· if applying for the Masters course at a UK institution, the course should not be more than 12 months
· fluent in written and spoken English
You are not eligible if you
· have already started a course in the UK at the time of application
· have in the past received a British Government funded scholarship
· work for the British Government (including the British Council)
· apply from another country
· are seeking military training (though military personnel can take academic course at civilian institutions)
· are applying for part time courses
· are applying for distance learning
· wish to study a course of more than 12 months in duration
· wish to study undergraduate degrees
Additional Eligibility Criteria
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants for Masters programmes should be able to provide evidence/ information on the status of application to the UK University (s) in a related subject at the time of applying i.e. by 31 December 2008. Candidates who get selected for Chevening awards must submit confirmation of admission offers from their chosen university(s) to the British Council latest by 31 May 2009.
Candidate should ideally have at least 2-3 years of relevant work experience in the selected field of study.
Recent graduates must be able to demonstrate exceptional leadership experience through either academic or extra curricular activities.
Last date for the 2009 programme is December 31 and for further clarifications, those interested may visit the website of www.britishcouncil.org.in/scholarships
One may also write to Chennai.firstname.lastname@example.org